ACA Versatility Program
Click HERE to download the ACA Versatility Program in pdf format
Click HERE to download ACA Versatility Program Application Form in pdf format
-To encourage Akita owners to provide opportunities for their dogs to work in the many ways in which Akitas are capable of, thereby enable dogs and owners to know the joy of working together.
-To provide certification for those Akita owners and their dogs who perform these tasks.
-To encourage the breeding of Akitas with the soundness and temperament that enables them to work and interact with people, to become the superb companions they are meant to be.
-To establish criteria for the versatility/working Akita.
-To establish areas in which these points can be earned.
-To establish rules for certification.
-The Akita shall be registered with the American Kennel Club (AKC) A PAL/ILP registration number is also permitted. The owner shall be a member in good standing of ACA at the time of application for the certificate.
-Deceased Akitas meeting registration requirements and having fulfilled all the requirements for certification are eligible for the Versatility/Working Dog Certification if the owner was a member of ACA when the dog was alive. All necessary documentation must be completed and submitted to the ACA Versatility Committee for review.
FIELDS OF CERTIFICATION (AKC ):
Conformation (max 2 pts)
FIELDS OF CERTIFICATION (AKC, UKC & Canadian Kennel Club recognized performance titles):
FIELDS OF CERTIFICATION-other
-Temperament (max 3 pts)
-AKC Farm Dog Certification
-Health (max 2 pts)
-Community Service/Public Education (max 2 pts)
-Dog Scouts Titles (max 1 pt)
The Beginner Versatile Akita (BVA) Certificate requires a minimum of 7 points using at least 3 categories including one performance title. Performance titles include: Obedience, Rally, Tracking, Agility, Flyball, Coursing, Carting/Drafting, Barn Hunt, K9 Nose Work and Treibball
The Versatile Akita (VA) Certificate requires a minimum of 10 points using at least 5 categories including at least one performance title. Performance titles include: Obedience, Rally, Tracking, Agility, Flyball, Coursing, Carting/Drafting, Barn Hunt, K9 Nose Work and Treibball,
The Versatile Akita Excellent (VAX) Certificate requires a minimum of 15 points using at least 6 categories. A maximum of 5 points from any area should encourage broad experience.
Documentation of the titles earned and the dog's registration MUST accompany the application.
Photocopies of title certificates, health testing reports and AKC registration papers
* Health-see below
* Community Service and Public Education – see below
Points will be awarded as noted below for the highest title earned in each area.
|Certification Area||1 Point||2 Points||3 Points||4 Points||5 Points|
|Conformation||AKC CH||AKC GCH or Group Winner including Owner Handler Series|
|Tracking||TD or TDU||TDX||VST/UTD|
|Agility (Points for each title/sanction)||ACT2||Any Novice Title||Any Open or Advanced Title, T2B/T2BP||Any Masters / Excellent Title||MACH, PACH, Any Master Bronze, Silver, Gold or Century Title|
|Flyball||Member of winning team or FD/MBD|
Any Novice Title
Any Advanced Title
Any Superior Title
Any Master Title
|Treibball||Any Novice Title||Any Intermediate Title||Any Advanced Title||Any Expert Title|
|Temperament (max 3 pts)||CGC (1 pt) TT (1 pt)||CGCA or CGCU|
|AKC Farm Dog Certification||FDC|
|Health* (Max 2 pts)||Hip, Eye, Thyroid, elbow, patella tests|
|Community Svc*/ Public Education* (max 2 pts)||1 pt per event (2 pts Max) Canine Blood donation - 1 pt per 5 donations (1 pt max)|
|Dog Scouts (max 1 pt)||Any one title|
|Dock Diving||Any Novice Title||Any Junior Title||Any Senior Title||Any Master Title||Any Elite Title|
* Temperament: Max. 2 pts. allowed for Good Citizen, additional point must be from Temperament Test
* Health: Hip-OFA or Penn Hip, Eye-OFA, OFA evaluation for: Autoimmune Thyroiditis, Elbow Dysplasia and Patellar Luxation. Results must be recorded with the appropriate registry. Non passing test results may be counted so long as the dog is no longer intact.
* Community Service is an act that is performed for the benefit of the community at large. It is voluntary work intended for the common good usually done as a part of an organized scheme. Examples are: Walking in a Pet- Walk-A-Thon to raise money for a charity, working in a concession stand to raise money for a good cause (a “Kissing Booth”), pick up a trail during National Trail Day in June, plan a special awareness event during Be Kind to Animals Week in May, make a display and participate in a township Earth Day event (how to protect dogs from ticks), etc.,
* Public Education is educating the public about the Akita breed at an organized event. This should include handouts which cover the history of the breed, health issues, what it is like to live with an Akita (grooming, exercise requirements, fencing), and contact information for ACA. Be able to talk with interested people individually while they interact with an Akita.
Supporting documentation for Community Service and Public Education includes: flyer from the event or a written description (including date/place), an explanation of how you and your dog participated, and pictures.
Submit the Versatility Program Application form to the ACA Versatility Chair by mailing the application along with supporting documents through the U.S. Postal Service.
Upon earning the VAX title owners can work towards advanced level certificates using any other titles not listed including titles from other venues which may or may not be AKC recognized. Each new title/badge will count for one point regardless of level. For each 20 points the VAX title will increase by 1. Example: VAX2 would be the VAX title plus 20 additional points earned from any organized club. Dog Scout titles/badges each count for 1 point, any titles which are not listed on the criteria grid from a recognized club or organization each count for 1 point, 1 point for each additional 20 hrs.of therapy work, 1 point for each additional health test and 1 point for each Community Service/Public Education event. Each new level of VAX+ will receive a certificate.
Submitting documentation for VAX+ will be the same as for submitting records for the BVA/VA/VAX titles. For this level the dog’s full name including all titles will have to be electronically submitted in a format that can be copied to ensure proper listing of titles on the certificate.
Certificates for BVA, VA, VAX, VAX 2+, will be mailed out quarterly.
BVA, VA, VAX, VAX2+ recipients will be posted on the ACA Versatility page – picture and short biography